Friday, January 6, 2012

Occupy!

Let's define Occupy. 

It is:

1. to take or fill up (space, time, etc.): I occupied my evenings reading novels.

2. to engage or employ the mind, energy, or attention of:Occupy the children with a game while I prepare dinner.

3. to be a resident or tenant of; dwell in: We occupied the same house for 20 years.

4. to take possession and control of (a place), as by military invasion.

5. to hold (a position, office, etc.).

The year 2011 has demonstrated to every activist in the world that it takes more than just occupying a space to accomplish the goals of an advocate. 

The march for freedom and equality took more than just occupying space, marching through states, a few hundred peaceful protests, and a few thousand demonstrations. It took numbers, it took money, and it took brute force. It took the deaths of hundreds of protesters, the deaths of many leaders and intellects. But, most of all, it took stories and history to make a difference. 

What history is there to be written about the occupy movement of 2011? In my opinion, the movement will fade, and so will the history. The American citizens, the occupiers, these teachers, these parents, these working class citizens, and the students that stood up for what they believed in are all pieces of a puzzle that will never be finished; at least, it wasn't in 2011. And the chances of this puzzle being completed in 2012 are very "slim to none." 

I am an activist, and I have been on the front lines of the movement for a better society. I have lead rallies, and have been the voice of many. I still stand as an individual willing to "fight the good fight." Then why am I less optimistic about this movement that has led to the many demonstrations popping up all over the nation? It's because it has not touched me the way it may have touched other activist. The injuries caused by law enforcement officers to my fellow comrades was not enough to flip the switch in the heads of billions. 

The way that our nation is run, and the way that our society allows for wealthy individuals to make decisions regarding the welfare of American citizens is disgusting. I am ashamed to be an American, but I am even more ashamed to be apart of a system that is considered the apex of an advance society. Yes, I am ashamed to be human. 

How is my DNA 99.9% similar to those who murder the innocent? Or, how can anyone or anything compare me to someone that would destroy for fun, or start a war for necessity? I am an individual, and I am unique. 

I refuse to take orders from species that share my genetic makeup, although, I will not refuse to live among the people. Similar to others, I will see the difference between what is humane and what being completely oblivious is. However, I and a few other advocates, activist, organizers, "humans" are also the only ones that will step up when it's time to change. 

Occupy! this is only a small step in a universal plan to save the world. But the moment the advocate fights back, and I really mean "fight back," then the only thing one can do is occupy. 

No comments: